Tuesday, September 7, 2010

the solar system through the eyes of my 2nd grader

So Connor comes home today and says "Mom, I REALLY LOVE 2nd grade!  It's REALLY FUN!" Which I must say makes my heart sing a bit...he's finally settling into the groove of the year.  This little man has the hardest of times getting into a new habit.  He hates all forms of change; both good and bad. 


He is following me around the house,chattering as we go.  He launches, "Today we learned about the Solar System.  We watched the Magic Schoolbus in the Solar System video.  The schoolbus broke down, and the teacher had to go out on a line to fix it, and the line broke, and the kids panicked!" 

"We learned about Uranus (pronounced by him "Yur-in-uss"), and that other planet that is blue...which other planet is blue, Mom?  Hmmm?  Uhm, lemme think...oh, yeah!  Neptune!  Neptune is the other blue planet! And how scientists believe that Pluto (pronounced "Plew-Toe") is a moon that broke away from Saturn.  Or an asteroid.  But it orbits the sun, and none of the other asteroids orbit the sun.  Weird, huh?!  So how can it be an asteroid if it's orbiting the sun?!"

So funny to watch him trying to make sense of what he learned in school today.  This kid gets excited about learning new things; reminds me a lot of myself at that age.  I just loved school and learning new information.  He is like a sponge soaking it all in, and just letting it roll around in his mind while he sorts through all the new knowledge he gained today.

It's fun to see the world through the eyes of a 2nd grader for the 2nd time!  I remember so vividly doing the same thing he's doing; trying to sift through information to make sense of the universe.  Don't think I'll ever quit.  But today's topic was the complexities of Plew-Toe and Yur-in-uss.  Fascinating stuff!  Love that kid to pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment